140g cake flour
5g baking powder
32g granulated sugar
55g unsalted frozen butter
1 tbsp lemon zest
60g heavy cream/whipping cream
3g vanilla extract
95g fresh blueberries
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃(392℉).
- In a clean bowl, put together cake flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, salt and lemon zest, mix well. Cut in frozen unsalted butter by hands or using a dough blender.
- Mix well heavy cream and vanilla extract, add into the flour mixture, and mix well. Add in the egg, mix until well combined.
- Mix in fresh blueberries, dust the baking mat and your hands with some flour, and transfer the dough to the baking mat. Shape the dough and cut into several triangles (I make 6 scones). You can use a knife or a dough scraper to cut out the scones. I use a dough scraper to protect the mat.
- Whisking together 1 egg yolk and some heavy cream (about the amount of the egg yolk). Brush each scone with the mixture. Send the scones into the oven to bake for 20 minutes.