200g softened cream cheese
60g melted unsalted butter
60g cake flour
100g granulated sugar
6g lemon juice
6g vanilla extract
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
- Separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge. Soften the cream cheese and melt the unsalted butter.
- In a clean bowl, put in softened cream cheese, press and stir until smooth. Add in 6 egg yolks, mix until well combined. Add in milk and melted unsalted butter and mix well.
- Sift in the cake flour and mix until well combined. Sift the batter at least once. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 302℉(150℃). Line the 8-inch round cake pan with parchment paper. If the cake pan has a removable bottom, wrap it with tinfoil.
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge; add in lemon juice, vanilla extract and granulated sugar, and use a hand mixer to beat until it forms very soft peaks.
- Pour all the batter into the whipped egg white; gently fold the whipped egg white in until just combined. Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Grab a deep baking tray, pour in hot water (around 1 cm in depth), and place the round cake pan in it, send into the oven to bake for 1 hour.
- Take the cake out of the oven, let it cool down on the cooling rack and set in the fridge to cool overnight. Take the cake out of the cake pan, slice and serve.