INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- 100g glutinous rice flour
- 30g cornstarch
- 30g granulated sugar
- 180g milk
- 20g unsalted butter
- 250g heavy cream
- 15g granulated sugar
- Oreo crumbles
HOW TO MAKE MOCHI1. Mix glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, granulated sugar and milk until smooth. Sift once, cover it with plastic wrap, prick some holes on the plastic wrap, and steam until fully cooked (about 20-30 minutes). Or you can microwave it until fully cooked (about 4 minutes).
- Sift once or twice or three times, your choice. This will help to gain a finer texture. Crush the lumps with a spatula.
- How to tell it is fully cooked?
-The batter turns into solid dough. You can find no floating flour liquid inside the dough. The color is translucent.
- Use oven-safe plastic wrap.
- Be careful when pealing the plastic wrap off. It is too hot to touch.
- Knead the butter in while the dough is still hot (by stand mixer or by a spatula), so the butter can easily melt.
- If you choose to knead by hands, wait until it is cool to touch and wear gloves. The dough is very sticky.
- Knead until the dough becomes stretchy. That means it be stretched into strands and you can easily take it off your gloves and leave no sticky dough dots on the gloves. The process can take 10 minutes if you knead it by hands.
- Fully wrap the dough ball with plastic wrap before send into the fridge, so the surface of the dough will not dry out.
- Use cold heavy cream. Some may call it as whipping cream.
- Whip up the cream with a hand mixer or a stand mixer on medium-high speed until it forms sturdy peaks.
*Picture took from my lemon crepe cake recipe, just for example.
- You can add vanilla extract into the cream, your choice.
- Keep the whipped cream in the fridge until you start to assemble the mochi. If you leave it outside, it may melt and collapse and becomes very liquidy.
- Be creative about the filling. Choose whatever fruits or other foods you like.
- You can use a piping bag to pipe the cream into the mochi.
- Dust the rolling pin and dough pieces with cooked glutinous rice flour.
- How to cook the glutinous rice flour?
- Roll each piece into a flat round piece. (Diameter is about 12 cm.)
- Mix glutinous rice flour, cornstarch, granulated sugar and milk until smooth. Sift once, cover it with plastic wrap, prick some holes on the plastic wrap, and steam until fully cooked (about 20-30 minutes). Or you can microwave it until fully cooked (about 4 minutes).
- After it is cooked, mix the butter in or beat the butter in using the stand mixer. Beat until it can form a ball. Or you can mix the butter in with a spatula and when the dough is cool to touch, knead into a ball. Wrap the dough ball with plastic wrap, and set the dough ball in the fridge to cool for 1 hour.
- In another bowl, beat heavy cream and sugar until thickened. Set aside. Wash and chop the strawberries into small cubes. Set aside. Crush some Oreo, set aside. You can take any fruits you like as filling.
- Take the dough ball out, knead and divide into equal pieces. Roll each piece into a flat round piece. Put in whipped cream and strawberry cubes or Oreo crumbles. Wrap it up, and put in a cupcake liner and serve.