50g vegetable oil
60g cake flour
50g granulated sugar
5g lemon juice
5g vanilla extract
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
- Separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl, mix well vegetable oil and milk, sift in cake flour and mix until just combined. Add in egg yolks and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 338℉(170℃). Line the baking pan (28*28*2.6cm) with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge, add in sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract, and use a hand mixer to beat until it forms soft peaks. Take a scoop of whipped egg white to fold in to the batter and pour in rest of the whipped egg white, gently fold it in until just combined.
- Pour all the batter into the baking pan, smooth its surface and give the pan a tap or two. Send into the oven to bake for about 23 minutes or until its surface turns golden brown.
- Take the cake out of the oven right away and let it cool down on the cooling rack. Wait until its surface is cool to touch, release the sides with an icing spatula, and quickly turn the cake upside down on parchment paper and remove the pan. Peel off the baking mat or parchment paper.
Detailed Instruction: https://u-taste.com/blogs/recipes/soft-cake-base