40g vegetable oil
70g cake flour
45g granulated sugar
2g cocoa powder
5g lemon juice
5g vanilla extract
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
- Separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl, mix well vegetable oil and milk until well combined. Mix in cake flour, add in egg yolks, mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge. Add in lemon juice, vanilla extract and sugar; use a hand mixer to beat until thickened, add in cornstarch and beat until it forms soft peaks.
- Take a scoop of whipped egg white and gently fold into the batter until just combined. Pour all the batter into the whipped egg white and gently fold in the whipped egg white until just combined. Save a scoop of batter to mix with cocoa powder and pour them into a piping bag.
- Preheat the oven to 230℉(110℃). Line the cupcake tin with cupcake liners. Fill them with batter. Draw some cute patterns onto the surface of each cakes with the chocolate batter. Fill one cupcake liner with rest of the chocolate batter. Send into the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Set the oven to 284℉(140℃) and bake for another 15-20 minutes.
- Take the cupcake tin out of the oven right away, give it a tap and let it cool down on the cooling rack.