30g vegetable oil
45g cake flour
42g granulated sugar
5g lemon juice
5g vanilla extract
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
*You have to use a chiffon cake pan to make this chiffon cake. Regular round cake pans won’t work.
- Separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl, mix well vegetable oil and milk. Sift in cake flour and cornstarch and gently mix them in until just combined. Add in egg yolks and gently mix in until just combined. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 302℉(150℃). Grab a 6-inch round chiffon cake pan. Do not grease it. Do not line it parchment paper.
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge, add in sugar, salt, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Use a hand mixer to beat until it forms stiff peaks. Take a scoop of whipped egg white and gently fold it in until just combined. Pour all the batter into the whipped egg white and gently fold it in until just combined. Pour all the batter into the chiffon cake pan. Smooth it out. Give it some taps. Send into the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Take the chiffon cake pan out of the oven. Give it a tap and quickly turn it upside down and put it on the cooling rack to cool down. Wait until the cake is completely cool down, release the chiffon cake from the cake pan. Slice and serve.