60g cake flour
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
1 egg yolk
10g unsalted butter
- Heat and boil water, milk, butter, sugar, and salt.
- Turn off the heat, add in cake flour; stir hard until all the ingredients come together. Turn on the heat (keep it medium), and keep stirring until some thin film forms on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the dough to a clean bowl, let it cool down a little bit, and then use a hand mixer, beat while adding egg into it until it gains a very smooth and silky texture.
- Put the batter into a pipping bag with a pipping tip and start to pipe out eclairs.
- Dust them with powdered sugar. (3 times)
- Preheat the oven to 374℉(190℃) and bake for 20 minutes; then set the oven to 347℉(175℃) and bake for 20 minutes. Take the cream puffs out of the oven; let them cool down on the cooling rack.
- Add sugar into the egg yolk, whisk until sugar slightly dissolves. Add in cornstarch and milk, whisk until smooth.
- Heat and keep stirring the mixture until thickened. Add in butter, and stir hard until well combined.
- Transfer custard sauce into a clean bowl, cover the sauce with plastic wrap, and set in the fridge to cool down.
- Take the sauce out, whisk it smooth, add in 80g heavy cream and 12g sugar, whisk until form stiff peaks. Put them all in a piping bag, and fill the éclairs or any cream puffs with it.