50g vegetable oil
60g cake flour
50g granulated sugar
5g lemon juice
5g vanilla extract
30g coconut flakes
200g heavy cream
30g granulated sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- In a clean bowl, separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl, bring together milk and vegetable oil and mix well. Add in cake flour and mix well. Add in 5 egg yolks, mix well and set aside.
- Line the baking tray (28*28*2.6cm) with parchment paper or baking mat. Preheat the oven to 311℉(155℃).
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge, add in sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract, and use a hand mixer to beat until soft peaks form. Take a scoop of whipped egg white and gently fold it in until just combined. Pour all the batter into rest of the whipped egg white and gently fold it in until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking tray, smooth it out, give it a tap or two, and draw lattice on with mayonnaise. Sprinkle some coconut flakes onto the surface. Send into the oven to bake for 32 minutes.
- In a clean bowl, bring together heavy cream, sugar and vanilla extract; use a hand mixer to beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer into a piping bag. Set in the fridge to keep it cool.
- Take the cake out of the oven and let the cake cool down on the cooling rack before take it out of the cake pan. When the cake is cool to touch, release the sides of the cake with an icing spatula, turn the whole cake pan upside down on the parchment paper. Take off the pan, and peel off the baking mat.
- Slice the cake in half into two equal size rectangle. Spread the cream onto one side of the cake and top with another slice. Let it cool in the fridge for 30 minutes. Slice the cake into several finger sandwiches.