30g vegetable oil
Some orange zest
35g fresh orange juice
55g cake flour
3 eggs (about 55g each)
50g granulated sugar
5g lemon juice
5g vanilla extract
A 6-inch round chiffon cake pan
Notes: By cake flour, I mean low protein flour, which normally contains 7-9% protein (Mine is around 8%). Not self-rising flour.
*You have to use a chiffon cake pan to make this chiffon cake. Regular round cake pans won’t work.
- Wash the oranges. In a clean bowl, bring together vegetable oil, orange zest and fresh orange juice and mix well. Sift in cake flour and mix well. Separate the eggs. Add the egg yolks into the batter mixture and mix well. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 302℉(150℃). Grab a 6-inch round chiffon cake pan. Do not grease it.
- Add sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract into the egg white bowl, and use a hand mixer to beat in medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Take a scoop of whipped egg white and gently fold it into the batter until just combined. Scoop in rest of the whipped egg white and gently fold it in until just combined. Pour all the batter into the chiffon cake pan, give it some taps, and send into the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven right away, give it a tap or two, turn it upside down and let it cool on the cooling rack. *Never skip this step or the cake will just collapse.
- Wait until the cake is completely cool down; take it out of the cake pan, slice and serve.