108g fresh orange juice
99g vegetable oil
126g cake flour
90g granulated sugar
9g lemon juice
9g vanilla extract
The Filling (optional)
100g heavy cream/whipping cream
20g granulated sugar
- In a clean bowl, separate the eggs. Keep the egg white bowl cool in the fridge.
- In a clean bowl (heat resistant), put in vegetable oil, place the bowl over a pot of simmering water, heat until the oil reaches 70℃(158℉). Use a thermometer to help, or you can heat the oil until the water comes to a boil, about 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the bowl, add in cake flour, and mix well. Add in orange juice, and mix well. Add in 9 egg yolks, and mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 150℃(302℉). Line the cake pan with parchment paper with overhangs so the cake can grow.
- Take the egg white bowl out of the fridge; add in lemon juice, granulated sugar and vanilla extract, and use a hand mixer to beat until it forms soft peaks.
- Take a scoop of whipped egg white and gently fold into the batter until just combined. Pour all the batter back into the whipped egg white, and gently fold the whipped egg white into the batter until just combined.
- Pour all the batter into the cake pan, gently smooth its surface; grab a baking tray that the cake pan can fit in and pour hot water into the baking tray until it reaches 2 cm in depth. Place the cake pan onto the baking tray; send into the oven to bake for 50 minutes. IF the cake pan has a removable bottom, wrap the bottom with tinfoil so water won’t go into the cake pan. A better choice is to use a cake pan with no removable bottom.
- Take the cake out of the oven, let it cool down on the cooling rack and peel off the parchment paper. In a clean bowl, put in whipping cream and granulated sugar, use a hand mixer to beat until it forms stiff peaks. Or you can use any other sauces you like instead of whipped cream.
- Slice the cake into two equal pieces. Spread whipped cream (or other sauces) onto the other side (not the golden brown side), top with another piece of cake. Set in the fridge to cool for 30 minutes, slice and serve.